Community Safety Glasgow

Get in touch

Making a Complaint


Making a Complaint

Making a Complaint – Information for Customers

• We are committed to providing high-quality customer service to you.
• We value complaints and use information from them to help us improve our services.
• If something goes wrong, or you are dissatisfied with our services, please tell us.

This section describes our complaints procedure and how to make a complaint. It also tells you about our service standards and what you can expect from us.

Our contact details
Please contact us by the following means:

  1. By phone: If you would prefer to speak to someone, our partners in Glasgow City Council Customer and Business Services can assist you between 9-5pm on 0141 276 7559.
  2. In writing: CSG Customer Support Team, Eastgate, 2nd Floor, 727 London Road. Glasgow.,G40 3AQ.
  3. By card: By completing our Customer Feedback Cards held at reception in our Headquarters or community facilities.
  4. By email:

What is a complaint?
We regard a complaint as any expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us or on our behalf.

What can I complain about?

  1. delays in responding to your enquiries and requests
  2. failure to provide a service
  3. our standard of service
  4. treatment by or attitude of a member of staff
  5. our failure to follow proper procedure.
    Your complaint may involve more than one service or be about someone working on our behalf, such as a contractor.

What can’t I complain about?
There are some things we can’t deal with through our complaints procedure.
These include:

  1. a routine first-time request for a service
  2. requests for compensation from Community Safety Glasgow
  3. things that are covered by other legal processes, for example receiving a Fixed Penalty Notice: If you receive a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) from one of our Community Enforcement Officers for littering or dog fouling, you have the right to challenge the validity of the fine via the Procurator Fiscal. Therefore this would not go through the complaints procedure. However, we can still provide you informal advice to help you decide whether to pay the Fixed Penalty Notice or to appeal it via the Courts.

Who can complain?
Anyone can make a complaint to us, including the representative of someone who is dissatisfied with our service. Please also read the section on Getting help to make your complaint.

How do I complain?
You can complain in person, by phone, in writing or by email. It is easier for us to resolve complaints if you make them quickly and directly to the service concerned. So please talk to a member of our staff in the service you are complaining about. Then they can try to resolve any problems there and then.

When complaining, tell us:

  1. your full name and address
  2. as much as you can about the complaint
  3. what has gone wrong
  4. how you want us to resolve the matter.

How long do I have to make a complaint?
Normally, you must make your complaint within six months of:

  1. the event you want to complain about, or
  2. finding out that you have a reason to complain, but no longer than 12 months after the event itself.

In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a complaint after the time limit. If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.

What happens when I have complained?
We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaint. Our complaints procedure has two stages:

• Stage One – frontline resolution. We aim to resolve complaints quickly. This could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong and immediate action to resolve the problem. We will give you our decision at Stage One, in five working days or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances. If we can’t resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why and tell you what you can do next. We might suggest that you take your complaint to Stage Two. You may choose to do this immediately or sometime after you get our initial decision.

• Stage Two – investigation. Stage Two deals with two types of complaint:
those that have not been resolved at Stage One and those that are complex and require a detailed investigation. When using Stage Two we will:

  1. acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three working days
  2. discuss your complaint with you to understand why you remain dissatisfied and what outcome you are looking for
  3. give you a full response to the complaint as soon as possible and within 20 working days.
  4. If our investigation will take longer than 20 working days, we will tell you. We will agree revised timescales with you and keep you updated on progress.

What if I’m still dissatisfied?

After we have fully investigated, if you are still dissatisfied with our decision or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to look at it.The SPSO cannot normally look at:

  1. a complaint that has not passed through our complaints procedure (so please make sure you have done so before contacting the SPSO)
  2. events that happened, or that you became aware of, more than a year ago
  3. a matter that has been, or is being, considered in court (e.g. disputing a Fixed Penalty Notice).

You can contact the SPSO: In person or by post:
SPSO 4 Melville Street Freepost EH641 Edinburgh EH3 7NS Freephone: 0800 377 7330 Online contact

Something to report?

Use our secure forms below and report issues anonymously.

Tweet Tweet