What is a Subject Access Request?
Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you have a right to access data relevant to you. If you wish to access data about someone else then you shall require their written consent, which you must make available to us. You may be committing an offence to seek data about other individuals without their consent.
You are not required to state WHY you wish to access the information: the details we require are merely those that will aid the efficient location and retrieval of information.
To request access to personal information, an individual must:
- make the request in writing
- supply information to prove who they are to eliminate risk of unauthorised disclosure
- supply appropriate information to help us locate the required information
Data Protection requests to CSG are processed by Glasgow City Council’s Freedom of Information (FOI) / Data Protection (DP) Team. You can make a data protection request in the following ways:
- By emailing: GCCALEO_FOI/DP@glasgow.gov.uk
- By posting your request to: CSG, c/o Glasgow City Council, FOI / DP Team, Room 3-13, 40 John Street, Glasgow, G11 JL
CSG has a Subject Access Request form which can be used to make a request for personal data. The form is provided as way of assistance to help you detail the information you are looking to access, and to help CSG process the search for the information requested.
If you wish to use our SARS form, you can download it here:
You do not need to complete the form but you do need to ensure that you provide your request in writing (letter, email or via social media private messaging) and provide as much information as you can to help us locate the information you are looking for (e.g. where and by whom information is believed to be held, specific details of information required), as well as a Police reference number if relevant.
The request should also be accompanied by the following documentation:
- One proof of identity document (e.g. current full or provisional driving licence, passport, birth certificate)
- One recent document with proof of address (utility bill, council tax bill, bank statement, P45/P60)
Other forms of identification may be acceptable.
Once all of the necessary information is received, CSG will respond to your request within 40 calendar days.
You will also receive an explanation for any information that cannot be provided.